[MediaWiki-l] Anonymous user (user_id =0)

[MediaWiki-l] Anonymous user (user_id =0)

Valerio Pelliccioni
Hi, everybody,

I seem to have lost the user "Anonymous" which is the one with the user_id = 0.

I say this because trying to delete a user with the extension "UserMerge" I got this error:

"Cannot create an actor for a usable name that is not an existing user".

To be clear, the UserMerge Extension instructs to
merge (refer contributions, texts, watchlists, edit count of) a first account A to a second account B
delete the first account A after the merge
….
if you omit the "New User" field (account B) then the extension auto-populates the New User as "Anonymous", and ask you to confirm a merge to Anonymous

So I went to check the "user" and "actor" tables where, actually, the Anonymous user doesn't exist.

Is it serious?

Everything else seems to be working fine to me...

Valerio Pelliccioni

W: https://tunearch.org/wiki/User:Valerio_Pelliccioni

Re: [MediaWiki-l] Anonymous user (user_id =0)

Brian Wolff
Run cleanupUsersWithNoId.php followed by migrateActors.php --force

Usernames that are valid usernames are no longer allowed to have id 0.

--
Brian

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, Valerio Pelliccioni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, everybody,
>
> I seem to have lost the user "Anonymous" which is the one with the user_id
> = 0.
>
> I say this because trying to delete a user with the extension "UserMerge"
> I got this error:
>
> "Cannot create an actor for a usable name that is not an existing user".
>

> To be clear, the UserMerge Extension instructs to
> merge (refer contributions, texts, watchlists, edit count of) a first
> account A to a second account B
> delete the first account A after the merge
> ….
> if you omit the "New User" field (account B) then the extension
> auto-populates the New User as "Anonymous", and ask you to confirm a merge
> to Anonymous
>

> So I went to check the "user" and "actor" tables where, actually, the
> Anonymous user doesn't exist.
>
> Is it serious?
>
> Everything else seems to be working fine to me...
>

> Valerio Pelliccioni
>
> W: https://tunearch.org/wiki/User:Valerio_Pelliccioni

Re: [MediaWiki-l] Anonymous user (user_id =0)

Valerio Pelliccioni
Thanks Brian.
I run the suggested scripts but didn't solve the problem.
I need a user "Anonymous".

>> Usernames that are valid usernames are no longer allowed to have id 0
...this means that UserMerge Extension is no longer available for user deletion; isn't it?

On 07/01/2020, 20:15, "MediaWiki-l on behalf of Brian Wolff" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Run cleanupUsersWithNoId.php followed by migrateActors.php --force

    Usernames that are valid usernames are no longer allowed to have id 0.

    --
    Brian

    On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, Valerio Pelliccioni <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > Hi, everybody,
    >
    > I seem to have lost the user "Anonymous" which is the one with the user_id
    > = 0.
    >
    > I say this because trying to delete a user with the extension "UserMerge"
    > I got this error:
    >
    > "Cannot create an actor for a usable name that is not an existing user".
    >
    >
    >
    > To be clear, the UserMerge Extension instructs to
    > merge (refer contributions, texts, watchlists, edit count of) a first
    > account A to a second account B
    > delete the first account A after the merge
    > ….
    > if you omit the "New User" field (account B) then the extension
    > auto-populates the New User as "Anonymous", and ask you to confirm a merge
    > to Anonymous
    >
    >
    > So I went to check the "user" and "actor" tables where, actually, the
    > Anonymous user doesn't exist.
    >
    > Is it serious?
    >
    > Everything else seems to be working fine to me...
    >
    >
    >
    > Valerio Pelliccioni
    >
    > W: https://tunearch.org/wiki/User:Valerio_Pelliccioni

Re: [MediaWiki-l] Anonymous user (user_id =0)

Brian Wolff
Such users can still exist, they can't just be a valid name. Adding it to
$wgReservedUsernames might be enough to allow it as an anon (not sure). At
the very least, having something like  '<Anonymous>' would be fine, since <
isn't allowed in real usernames.

--
Brian

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 7:39 PM Valerio Pelliccioni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Brian.
> I run the suggested scripts but didn't solve the problem.
> I need a user "Anonymous".
>
> >> Usernames that are valid usernames are no longer allowed to have id 0
> ...this means that UserMerge Extension is no longer available for user
> deletion; isn't it?

> Valerio Pelliccioni
> W: https://tunearch.org/wiki/User:Valerio_Pelliccioni
>

> On 07/01/2020, 20:15, "MediaWiki-l on behalf of Brian Wolff" <
> [hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     Run cleanupUsersWithNoId.php followed by migrateActors.php --force
>

>     Usernames that are valid usernames are no longer allowed to have id 0.
>
>     --
>     Brian
>
>     On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, Valerio Pelliccioni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     > Hi, everybody,
>     >
>     > I seem to have lost the user "Anonymous" which is the one with the
> user_id
>     > = 0.
>     >
>     > I say this because trying to delete a user with the extension
> "UserMerge"
>     > I got this error:
>     >
>     > "Cannot create an actor for a usable name that is not an existing
> user".
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > To be clear, the UserMerge Extension instructs to
>     > merge (refer contributions, texts, watchlists, edit count of) a first
>     > account A to a second account B
>     > delete the first account A after the merge
>     > ….
>     > if you omit the "New User" field (account B) then the extension
>     > auto-populates the New User as "Anonymous", and ask you to confirm a
> merge
>     > to Anonymous
>     >
>     >
>     > So I went to check the "user" and "actor" tables where, actually, the
>     > Anonymous user doesn't exist.
>     >
>     > Is it serious?
>     >
>     > Everything else seems to be working fine to me...
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Valerio Pelliccioni
>     >
>     > W: https://tunearch.org/wiki/User:Valerio_Pelliccioni
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > MediaWiki-l mailing list
>     > To unsubscribe, go to:
>     >

Re: [MediaWiki-l] Anonymous user (user_id =0)

Valerio Pelliccioni
Thank you so much Brian.
Your first suggestion solved the problem.
It was enough to add the following line in LocalSettings.php

// Add just one user name to the default array
$wgReservedUsernames[] = 'Anonymous';

to get this:

Merge from Giada (691) to Anonymous (0) is complete.
Giada (691) has been deleted.

---------

On 07/01/2020, 20:47, "MediaWiki-l on behalf of Brian Wolff" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

    >     >
    >     >
    >     > So I went to check the "user" and "actor" tables where, actually, the
    >     > Anonymous user doesn't exist.
    >     >
    >     > Is it serious?
    >     >
    >     > Everything else seems to be working fine to me...
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > Valerio Pelliccioni
    >     >
    >     > W: https://tunearch.org/wiki/User:Valerio_Pelliccioni
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > MediaWiki-l mailing list
    >     > To unsubscribe, go to:
    >     >

Re: [MediaWiki-l] Anonymous user (user_id =0)

You might still have to rerun migrateActors.php after making that change,
as otherwise some of the older edits attributed to Anonymous may have
disappeared.

--
Brian

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 6:56 AM Valerio Pelliccioni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>     >     >
>     >     > Valerio Pelliccioni
>     >     >
>     >     > W: https://tunearch.org/wiki/User:Valerio_Pelliccioni
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     > _______________________________________________
>     >     > MediaWiki-l mailing list
>     >     > To unsubscribe, go to:
>     >     >
>     >     _______________________________________________
>     >     MediaWiki-l mailing list
>     >     To unsubscribe, go to:
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > MediaWiki-l mailing list
>     > To unsubscribe, go to:
>     >

Re: [MediaWiki-l] Anonymous user (user_id =0)

Ok,
thanks.