[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

Sam Reed
As per the MediaWiki version life cycle [1], I would like to announce the
formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.32 as of tomorrow, Friday January
24, 2019.

This means that MediaWiki 1.32 will no longer receive maintenance or
security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you continue
to use it.

It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.34 (due to become EOL in
November 2020), or less preferably to MediaWiki 1.33 (due to become EOL in
June 2020). The current Long Term Support (LTS) version of MediaWiki,
MediaWiki 1.31, is older (and downgrading is not supported), though the
next LTS (MediaWiki 1.35) is due to be released in June 2020, and will be
supported until June 2023.

MediaWiki 1.33 has the same supported PHP version of 7.0 (which is itself
unsupported upstream), in case you need longer to upgrade your systems.
MediaWiki 1.34 requires PHP 7.2.9 or later.

Thanks!

Sam Reed

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Version_lifecycle

Re: [MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

Jeffrey Walton
On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM Sam Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As per the MediaWiki version life cycle [1], I would like to announce the
> formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.32 as of tomorrow, Friday January
> 24, 2019.
>
> This means that MediaWiki 1.32 will no longer receive maintenance or
> security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you continue
> to use it.
>
> It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.34 (due to become EOL in
> November 2020), or less preferably to MediaWiki 1.33 (due to become EOL in
> June 2020). The current Long Term Support (LTS) version of MediaWiki,
> MediaWiki 1.31, is older (and downgrading is not supported), though the
> next LTS (MediaWiki 1.35) is due to be released in June 2020, and will be
> supported until June 2023.
>
> MediaWiki 1.33 has the same supported PHP version of 7.0 (which is itself
> unsupported upstream), in case you need longer to upgrade your systems.
> MediaWiki 1.34 requires PHP 7.2.9 or later.

This puts some folks in a bad position.

The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python and PHP
required, even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.

(In hindsight a Red Hat-based VM was a bad decision. It ships with
antique software, and SCL only provides old software. We need modern
software, and should have selected a Fedora or Ubuntu VM).

Jeff

Re: [MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

Andre Klapper
On Thu, 2020-01-23 at 17:20 -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> This puts some folks in a bad position.
>
> The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python

There is no Python requirement, as far as I'm aware.

> and PHP required, even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.

If you already run an LTS distro then you probably also [want to] use a
MediaWiki LTS version. 1.31 will be supported until approx June 2021.

andre
--
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: [MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

Jonathan Aquilina
Hi guys,

Not sure about python, but if you install the remi repo you can get php 7.3. I have it for something not MW related

Regards,
Jonathan

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM Sam Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As per the MediaWiki version life cycle [1], I would like to announce
> the formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.32 as of tomorrow, Friday
> January 24, 2019.
>
> This means that MediaWiki 1.32 will no longer receive maintenance or
> security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you
> continue to use it.
>
> It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.34 (due to become EOL in
> November 2020), or less preferably to MediaWiki 1.33 (due to become
> EOL in June 2020). The current Long Term Support (LTS) version of
> MediaWiki, MediaWiki 1.31, is older (and downgrading is not
> supported), though the next LTS (MediaWiki 1.35) is due to be released
> in June 2020, and will be supported until June 2023.
>
> MediaWiki 1.33 has the same supported PHP version of 7.0 (which is
> itself unsupported upstream), in case you need longer to upgrade your systems.
> MediaWiki 1.34 requires PHP 7.2.9 or later.

This puts some folks in a bad position.

The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python and PHP required, even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.

(In hindsight a Red Hat-based VM was a bad decision. It ships with antique software, and SCL only provides old software. We need modern software, and should have selected a Fedora or Ubuntu VM).

Jeff

Re: [MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

Peter Presland-2
Per other replies about php version requirements and the putative
difficulties involved for Redhat OS users, I am left wondering about how
important the stated Mediawiki php version requirements really are.

My wondering is prompted by the fact that both Wikipedia and the few
other MW foundation sites I have checked, are all running MW1.35.0
while still on php 7.2.26. Whereas the stated php minimum version
requirement for the current latest stable MW1.34 is php 7.2.9.

Probably a simple explanation but as a Centos 7 OS user, I am confused.

Peter Presland

On 23/01/2020 22:20, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM Sam Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As per the MediaWiki version life cycle [1], I would like to announce the
>> formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.32 as of tomorrow, Friday January
>> 24, 2019.
>>
>> This means that MediaWiki 1.32 will no longer receive maintenance or
>> security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you continue
>> to use it.
>>
>> It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.34 (due to become EOL in
>> November 2020), or less preferably to MediaWiki 1.33 (due to become EOL in
>> June 2020). The current Long Term Support (LTS) version of MediaWiki,
>> MediaWiki 1.31, is older (and downgrading is not supported), though the
>> next LTS (MediaWiki 1.35) is due to be released in June 2020, and will be
>> supported until June 2023.
>>
>> MediaWiki 1.33 has the same supported PHP version of 7.0 (which is itself
>> unsupported upstream), in case you need longer to upgrade your systems.
>> MediaWiki 1.34 requires PHP 7.2.9 or later.
> This puts some folks in a bad position.
>
> The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python and PHP
> required, even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.
>
> (In hindsight a Red Hat-based VM was a bad decision. It ships with
> antique software, and SCL only provides old software. We need modern
> software, and should have selected a Fedora or Ubuntu VM).
>
> Jeff

Re: [MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

James Forrester
On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 08:53, Peter Presland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Per other replies about php version requirements and the putative
> difficulties involved for Redhat OS users, I am left wondering about how
> important the stated Mediawiki php version requirements really are.
>
> My wondering is prompted by the fact that both Wikipedia and the few
> other MW foundation sites I have checked, are all running MW1.35.0
> while still on php 7.2.26. Whereas the stated php minimum version
> requirement for the current latest stable MW1.34 is php 7.2.9.
>
> Probably a simple explanation but as a Centos 7 OS user, I am confused.

Per the support policy for PHP
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Support_policy_for_PHP>, recently codified,
in picking our support framework for major PHP versions we try to carefully
balance the needs of new sysadmins, where we should encourage people to
make secure choices, with upgrading sysadmins, who will want the simplest
upgrade path possible.

In practical terms, we only increase the minor PHP version when we find
particular upstream bugs in PHP that are not sensible to work around, or
where our upstream dependencies insist on it. That's why we require 7.2.9
instead of 7.2.0 – we had to pick for 1.34 when dropping PHP 7.1 and 7.0
(see T234766 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T234766> and the
corresponding patch
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/542220>).

For Wikimedia production, we run the latest version in Debian stable (with
any necessary local patches), to take advantage of upstream performance
improvements, bug fixes and so on, and to ensure we can respond to
incidents as appropriate. Right now that's 7.2.26, up from 7.2.24 over the
last few months. It's always a better idea to run the latest version of PHP
recommended by your OS.

MediaWiki will explicitly refuse to run on versions of PHP we don't
support, with a specific error message (as will composer when you try to
install dependencies), to avoid any mysterious run-time errors and
corruptions.

Yours,
--
*James D. Forrester* (he/him <http://pronoun.is/he> or they/themself
<http://pronoun.is/they/.../themself>)

Re: [MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

Pascal GREGIS
Isn't php 7.2.26 superior to 7.2.9? It looks pretty logical to me but maybe I haven't understood correctly what you mean.

Pascal

Peter Presland a écrit, le vendredi 24 janvier 2020 à 16:52:02 :

> Per other replies about php version requirements and the putative
> difficulties involved for Redhat OS users, I am left wondering about how
> important the stated Mediawiki php version requirements really are.
>
> My wondering is prompted by the fact that both Wikipedia and the few
> other MW foundation sites I have checked, are all running MW1.35.0
> while still on php 7.2.26. Whereas the stated php minimum version
> requirement for the current latest stable MW1.34 is php 7.2.9.
>
> Probably a simple explanation but as a Centos 7 OS user, I am confused.
>
> Peter Presland
>
> On 23/01/2020 22:20, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM Sam Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> As per the MediaWiki version life cycle [1], I would like to announce the
> >> formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.32 as of tomorrow, Friday January
> >> 24, 2019.
> >>
> >> This means that MediaWiki 1.32 will no longer receive maintenance or
> >> security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you continue
> >> to use it.
> >>
> >> It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.34 (due to become EOL in
> >> November 2020), or less preferably to MediaWiki 1.33 (due to become EOL in
> >> June 2020). The current Long Term Support (LTS) version of MediaWiki,
> >> MediaWiki 1.31, is older (and downgrading is not supported), though the
> >> next LTS (MediaWiki 1.35) is due to be released in June 2020, and will be
> >> supported until June 2023.
> >>
> >> MediaWiki 1.33 has the same supported PHP version of 7.0 (which is itself
> >> unsupported upstream), in case you need longer to upgrade your systems.
> >> MediaWiki 1.34 requires PHP 7.2.9 or later.
> > This puts some folks in a bad position.
> >
> > The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python and PHP
> > required, even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.
> >
> > (In hindsight a Red Hat-based VM was a bad decision. It ships with
> > antique software, and SCL only provides old software. We need modern
> > software, and should have selected a Fedora or Ubuntu VM).
> >
> > Jeff

Re: [MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

Peter Presland-2
Yes. You're right. Sorry about that.

However, the other reply from James Forrester is  useful.

Peter P