[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.35 Branch Cut and Release

[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.35 Branch Cut and Release

Cindy Cicalese-2
On March 30, we announced that we were temporarily pushing back the release
of MediaWiki 1.35 due to uncertainty resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are now ready to begin the process of moving forward with the release.

The first step is cutting the release branch, REL1_35, which will occur on
Monday, July 13.

We will then be in "pencils down" mode: developers will stop targeting
MediaWiki 1.35 for new features. Instead, any new features would continue
to be applied to master and would target MediaWiki 1.36 or later. The only
work that would continue towards MediaWIki 1.35 would be blockers -
critical bug fixes or features close to completion that need to make it
into the release. This would happen by merging those patches into master
and then backporting them to the REL1_35 branch.

We anticipate that MediaWiki 1.35 will be released at the beginning of
August.

We appreciate your patience in these difficult times. Wishing you safety
and health,

Cindy

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [Wikitech-l] MediaWiki 1.35 Branch Cut and Release

Evan Prodromou
Hey, all. This is the roughly 1-week "pencils down" warning for the
upcoming MediaWiki 1.35 release branch cut.

The branch cut is scheduled to be made on 14 July 2020 at 02:00 UTC.

(That's late on 13 July in the Americas and parts of the Pacific. Timezones
are like magic, aren't they?)

After that point, new features won't be merged into 1.35; the master branch
will become part of the 1.36 release.

If you have tickets that are tagged for `mw-1.35-release`, please finish
them, untag them, or reach out to get them resolved.*

After the branch cut, bug fixes will be manually ported, but feature
changes won't.

Thanks for your work on and interest in MediaWiki.

-Evan

* See https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mw-1.35-release/ for details.

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 8:58 AM Cindy Cicalese <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On March 30, we announced that we were temporarily pushing back the release
> of MediaWiki 1.35 due to uncertainty resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.
> We are now ready to begin the process of moving forward with the release.
>
> The first step is cutting the release branch, REL1_35, which will occur on
> Monday, July 13.
>
> We will then be in "pencils down" mode: developers will stop targeting
> MediaWiki 1.35 for new features. Instead, any new features would continue
> to be applied to master and would target MediaWiki 1.36 or later. The only
> work that would continue towards MediaWIki 1.35 would be blockers -
> critical bug fixes or features close to completion that need to make it
> into the release. This would happen by merging those patches into master
> and then backporting them to the REL1_35 branch.
>
> We anticipate that MediaWiki 1.35 will be released at the beginning of
> August.
>
> We appreciate your patience in these difficult times. Wishing you safety
> and health,
>
> Cindy

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [Wikitech-l] MediaWiki 1.35 Branch Cut and Release

Nathaniel Sturtz
Will Mediawiki 1.35 be commatible with Php 7.4?
--Nathaniel Sturtz

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 1:23 PM Evan Prodromou <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey, all. This is the roughly 1-week "pencils down" warning for the
> upcoming MediaWiki 1.35 release branch cut.
>
> The branch cut is scheduled to be made on 14 July 2020 at 02:00 UTC.
>
> (That's late on 13 July in the Americas and parts of the Pacific. Timezones
> are like magic, aren't they?)
>
> After that point, new features won't be merged into 1.35; the master branch
> will become part of the 1.36 release.
>
> If you have tickets that are tagged for `mw-1.35-release`, please finish
> them, untag them, or reach out to get them resolved.*
>
> After the branch cut, bug fixes will be manually ported, but feature
> changes won't.
>
> Thanks for your work on and interest in MediaWiki.
>
> -Evan
>
> * See https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mw-1.35-release/ for details.
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 8:58 AM Cindy Cicalese <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On March 30, we announced that we were temporarily pushing back the
> release
> > of MediaWiki 1.35 due to uncertainty resulting from the COVID-19
> pandemic.
> > We are now ready to begin the process of moving forward with the release.
> >
> > The first step is cutting the release branch, REL1_35, which will occur
> on
> > Monday, July 13.
> >
> > We will then be in "pencils down" mode: developers will stop targeting
> > MediaWiki 1.35 for new features. Instead, any new features would continue
> > to be applied to master and would target MediaWiki 1.36 or later. The
> only
> > work that would continue towards MediaWIki 1.35 would be blockers -
> > critical bug fixes or features close to completion that need to make it
> > into the release. This would happen by merging those patches into master
> > and then backporting them to the REL1_35 branch.
> >
> > We anticipate that MediaWiki 1.35 will be released at the beginning of
> > August.
> >
> > We appreciate your patience in these difficult times. Wishing you safety
> > and health,
> >
> > Cindy

ICSD Confidentiality Notice: This email and any attachments are covered

by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.§§2510-2521 and
may
contain privileged and confidential information intended only for
the use
of the individual or entity named. If
 you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you
should not review, use, disclose,
distribute, copy, or forward this
email. If you have received this email
in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete/destroy any and
all copies
 of the original message.

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [Wikitech-l] MediaWiki 1.35 Branch Cut and Release

RhinosF1 -
Hey,

In case anyone disagrees or wants to change further, posting here.

I've updated the description of
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/manage/4035/ to say August 2020
release NOT June 2020

Thanks!

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 19:31, Nathaniel Sturtz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > We anticipate that MediaWiki 1.35 will be released at the beginning of
> > > August.
> > >
> > > We appreciate your patience in these difficult times. Wishing you
> safety
> > > and health,
> > >
> > > Cindy

> ICSD Confidentiality Notice: This email and any attachments are covered
>
> by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.§§2510-2521 and
> may
> contain privileged and confidential information intended only for
> the use
> of the individual or entity named. If
>  you are not the intended recipient,
> you are hereby notified that you
> should not review, use, disclose,
> distribute, copy, or forward this
> email. If you have received this email
> in error, please notify the
> sender immediately and delete/destroy any and

Samuel

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [Wikitech-l] MediaWiki 1.35 Branch Cut and Release

Andre Klapper
On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 13:30 -0500, Nathaniel Sturtz wrote:
> Will Mediawiki 1.35 be commatible with Php 7.4?

Please don't double-post. This has already been answered:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2020-July/048436.html

Thanks,
andre
--
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/