[MediaWiki-l] interior maps extension

Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000)
Happy Friday - What extension is best for annotating interior floor plans and user maps uploaded as images?

Is anyone doing this? What do people here recommend?

I've been trying to learn how to use the "Maps" extension [1] but it's not clear to me if custom interior maps are possible with Maps.

OpenLayers [2] and Cargo [3] look promising but I don't know how to get started with them for custom interior maps. I dive in and learn it if I knew upfront that they had the capability. Can anyone tell me what they're doing?

/Rich

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Maps
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenLayers
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cargo

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [Semediawiki-user] interior maps extension

Yaron Koren
Hi Rich,

It should be noted that the use of images as maps comprises two parts:
entering the data, and viewing the data. I don't believe either one is
currently possible, though I could be wrong. For data entry, I think the
easiest way to add support for it would be to modify either the
"openlayers" or "leaflet" input types in Page Forms to allow for using an
uploaded image as the map - both OpenLayers and Leaflet inherently allow
for such a thing. And for viewing the data - Semantic MediaWiki has a
"leaflet" result format (via the Maps extension), while Cargo has an
"openlayers" format. Both could similarly be modified to allow for
displaying query results on an uploaded image.

It should be noted that, about ten years ago, both entry and viewing of
image-based maps were possible, via the extensions then called Semantic
Maps and Semantic Forms. This is one of those features that just stopped
being supported, due I guess to lack of interest. Which is too bad, because
it does seem useful for a lot of different applications. But it never
really got usage before. Maybe now is a good time to bring this feature
back, if enough people show an interest in it.

I should also note that there's an extension called Semantic Image
Annotator:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Image_Annotator

It lets you both add and query data, but the data it deals with is
rectangles on an image and not points, so it may not be what you're looking
for. Maybe it's fine, though.

-Yaron

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 12:08 PM Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) via
Semediawiki-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Happy Friday - What extension is best for annotating interior floor plans
> and user maps uploaded as images?
>
> Is anyone doing this? What do people here recommend?
>
> I've been trying to learn how to use the "Maps" extension [1] but it's not
> clear to me if custom interior maps are possible with Maps.
>
> OpenLayers [2] and Cargo [3] look promising but I don't know how to get
> started with them for custom interior maps. I dive in and learn it if I
> knew upfront that they had the capability. Can anyone tell me what they're
> doing?
>
> /Rich
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Maps
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenLayers
> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cargo

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [Semediawiki-user] interior maps extension

Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000)
Hi Yaron, thanks for responding and great insights as usual. These are times I wish I had more programming experience.. I’d enthusiastically take on the task of bringing points data entry and query back to page forms. For us Enterprise MW users I would argue that this feature is essential in every enterprise application whether people know it or not, ha ha.. Being able to quickly graphically annotate an image of parking lot or an exit plan or a Road closure .. These are Basic enterprise applications.

I would think you would want to recover this capability in page Foms just to keep all such data collection under one extension. Otherwise some lesser extension will come along and try to do it.

If you do decide to include this in page forms, do you have any thoughts on How many hours of effort to implement?

I’m not sure which I’m more excited about, the prospect of internal maps added to page forms or the project management extension that you mentioned not too long ago. Please don’t ever underestimate your contribution to the enterprise world. It’s amazing. You really have done and continue to do great work.

________________________________

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Image_Annotator<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3ASemantic-5FImage-5FAnnotator&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=egpiK3-6Rd5BIHLcRDv9289t0b1zeob3n51FOs1Rgic&e=>

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 12:08 PM Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) via Semediawiki-user <semediawiki-<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>forge.net> wrote:
Happy Friday - What extension is best for annotating interior floor plans and user maps uploaded as images?

Is anyone doing this? What do people here recommend?

I've been trying to learn how to use the "Maps" extension [1] but it's not clear to me if custom interior maps are possible with Maps.

OpenLayers [2] and Cargo [3] look promising but I don't know how to get started with them for custom interior maps. I dive in and learn it if I knew upfront that they had the capability. Can anyone tell me what they're doing?

/Rich

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Maps<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3AMaps&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=YDLnrlnpCaTM4xDwkcCP-w6JOWSsfSNenhsdT9r4l18&e=>
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenLayers<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3AOpenLayers&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=7WnewyAkuyVl-Xycjou9OLsteP0GC2eIXpRokqF3ivA&e=>
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cargo<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3ACargo&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=9nWDknMI3lXeGHYGN9lzBe4PgkZ9AZpZeUgPxwmnfz8&e=>

Semediawiki-<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>forge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/semediawiki-user<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.sourceforge.net_lists_listinfo_semediawiki-2Duser&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=rAQpulMuhw95VvuKwRLyaC1ogKZz3cBBFj7gwgLAl4Y&e=>

--
WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wikiworks.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=zZUSGM6frhVWi2v8NIHyWRuiigT-ZrSaqTn-cbauuHQ&e=>

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [Semediawiki-user] interior maps extension

Yaron Koren
Hi Rich,

I agree that being able to use an image-as-map makes a lot of sense, and it
surprised me how little usage it got when it was still a feature, and how
little discussion it got afterward. Nonetheless, that's how it went.

Whatever the benefits or drawbacks of another extension coming in and
providing this functionality, I doubt it'll happen, given the track record.
:)

It actually would be fairly easy to add this feature back in, I think...
you would just need to add a parameter like "image layer=" to the relevant
tags in Page Forms, Cargo and/or Maps (ideally all three), which would use
the functionality that already exists in OpenLayers and Leaflet. It might
not take more than a few hours, actually, depending on how complicated the
APIs are. But this looks pretty simple, for example:

https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/static-image.html

So who knows, maybe your request would be enough to kickstart this feature.

Unrelated to that, it's also great that you're interested in the business
process management stuff I mentioned on the mailing list before. I'm still
very interested in adding functionality for that, but we'll see how it
goes. Thanks!

-Yaron

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 9:05 AM Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cargo
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3ACargo&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=9nWDknMI3lXeGHYGN9lzBe4PgkZ9AZpZeUgPxwmnfz8&e=>

> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wikiworks.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=zZUSGM6frhVWi2v8NIHyWRuiigT-ZrSaqTn-cbauuHQ&e=>

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Semediawiki-user] interior maps extension

Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000)
Hi Yaron,

Question #1:On the current version of the “Maps” extension for MW 1.31 (v6.0.3), the bottom right option in the “MapEditor” Special Page is “Add Image Overlay”. Is this a remnant of the lost feature that would facilitate custom maps? .. Or does this still function in some other way that I am misunderstanding?

Question #1: Also, I’d like to propose a quick collaboration. I have a very capable programmer that I can have work on this for us, but they aren’t readily familiar with the mediawiki extensions model. If I were to get them setup in github and create a fork of the Maps or Page Forms, or Cargo extension and able to perform pull-requests.. would you have time to answer their questions and tell them how you’d like to see the feature re-implemented? Maybe we can make quick work of this together? And I’d be happy to update the extension manual when done. Thoughts?

https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/static-image.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__openlayers.org_en_latest_examples_static-2Dimage.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=rs7XEEBYqvQ_gDzZxSfzlAHsQ5eg3Uj9cOaqyC3ddRs&s=oXBOcx7GFRpVtIz2rvAc5u7-zMiHfJLX0ypV1alRDuo&e=>

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 12:08 PM Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) via Semediawiki-user <semediawiki-<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>forge.net<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__forge.net&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=rs7XEEBYqvQ_gDzZxSfzlAHsQ5eg3Uj9cOaqyC3ddRs&s=E7rwOIeMLtwtzXCc4z2p-qCPhcaSD_jppzYRYCRiOyw&e=>> wrote:
[...]

WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wikiworks.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=rs7XEEBYqvQ_gDzZxSfzlAHsQ5eg3Uj9cOaqyC3ddRs&s=3eHbhPb5S4ggcXVvwuvFDEu5N6MtiZV9KnS9oV-4k9k&e=>

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [non-nasa source] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Semediawiki-user] interior maps extension

Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000)
*derp* questions #1 and "#2"...

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__openlayers.org_en_latest_examples_static-2Dimage.html&d=DwIGaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=1UBn28yDloYSyszI1yb6aq3qSynnu4rd5_YTIRhBg0w&s=RdL8M6VtiWXYcR-whfCjdNH7AqmcZ81JJJ0dStdmKLs&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__openlayers.org_en_latest_examples_static-2Dimage.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=rs7XEEBYqvQ_gDzZxSfzlAHsQ5eg3Uj9cOaqyC3ddRs&s=oXBOcx7GFRpVtIz2rvAc5u7-zMiHfJLX0ypV1alRDuo&e=>

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3ASemantic-5FImage-5FAnnotator&d=DwIGaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=1UBn28yDloYSyszI1yb6aq3qSynnu4rd5_YTIRhBg0w&s=-V8dlovycKUrajeENIoa2GQSEffVdmKztPqrxP1Earc&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3ASemantic-5FImage-5FAnnotator&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=egpiK3-6Rd5BIHLcRDv9289t0b1zeob3n51FOs1Rgic&e=>

[1] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3AMaps&d=DwIGaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=1UBn28yDloYSyszI1yb6aq3qSynnu4rd5_YTIRhBg0w&s=PLIjDXcRY0F1G6iqyKJ7lhumOxOBb7tqtn0Xa2aI6uc&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3AMaps&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=YDLnrlnpCaTM4xDwkcCP-w6JOWSsfSNenhsdT9r4l18&e=>
[2] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3AOpenLayers&d=DwIGaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=1UBn28yDloYSyszI1yb6aq3qSynnu4rd5_YTIRhBg0w&s=dQPqCakCTa3CLYxkUADxrHayLjlI_sbzlG2EveZK-B8&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3AOpenLayers&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=7WnewyAkuyVl-Xycjou9OLsteP0GC2eIXpRokqF3ivA&e=>
[3] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3ACargo&d=DwIGaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=1UBn28yDloYSyszI1yb6aq3qSynnu4rd5_YTIRhBg0w&s=b_vup-AJOZSt9uBtmjpf3QyYXXwEPCJTcPb02K0nS2o&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3ACargo&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=9nWDknMI3lXeGHYGN9lzBe4PgkZ9AZpZeUgPxwmnfz8&e=>

WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wikiworks.com&d=DwIGaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=1UBn28yDloYSyszI1yb6aq3qSynnu4rd5_YTIRhBg0w&s=4avU0AKnAK6InO0WYb7szYmW9kZnru7wdp_K1xY3OxA&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wikiworks.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=zZUSGM6frhVWi2v8NIHyWRuiigT-ZrSaqTn-cbauuHQ&e=>

--
WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wikiworks.com&d=DwIGaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=1UBn28yDloYSyszI1yb6aq3qSynnu4rd5_YTIRhBg0w&s=4avU0AKnAK6InO0WYb7szYmW9kZnru7wdp_K1xY3OxA&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wikiworks.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=rs7XEEBYqvQ_gDzZxSfzlAHsQ5eg3Uj9cOaqyC3ddRs&s=3eHbhPb5S4ggcXVvwuvFDEu5N6MtiZV9KnS9oV-4k9k&e=>

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [non-nasa source] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Semediawiki-user] interior maps extension

Yaron Koren
Hi Rich,

I thought maybe you meant that both questions were equally important. :)

I think "Add Image Overlay" is a Google Maps feature that's not related to
what we're talking about. I could be wrong, though.

As for the specifics of implementing this feature - we should probably talk
about this "offline". But I'm glad you asked about it publicly, so that I
can state that I'm very happy to help anyone who wants to improve any of my
extensions. And I'm certainly looking forward to having this useful
capability be supported again.

-Yaron

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:56 AM Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> *derp* questions #1 and "#2"...

Krabina Bernhard

yes, I think there should be the possibility in maps to have custom images instead of an actual map where you can display points. I have never used this myself, though.

There is another option: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ImageMap

cheers,
Bernhard

----- Am 8. Jun 2019 um 15:05 schrieb semediawiki-user [hidden email]:

> [...]
> Semediawiki-<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>forge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/semediawiki-user<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.sourceforge.net_lists_listinfo_semediawiki-2Duser&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=rAQpulMuhw95VvuKwRLyaC1ogKZz3cBBFj7gwgLAl4Y&e=>
>

> --
> WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting ·
> http://wikiworks.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wikiworks.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=zZUSGM6frhVWi2v8NIHyWRuiigT-ZrSaqTn-cbauuHQ&e=>

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [Semediawiki-user] interior maps extension

Bryan Hilderbrand
Hi all,

I use ImageMap [0] like Krabina suggested to do something similar.  In my
opinion, ImageMap has some issues that hopefully get resolved like "mystery
meat navigation" [1][2] and no Visual Editor support or even on-wiki
editing, although there are some ways [3].  In my experience, this has
prevented all but the most dedicated users from using ImageMap and forces
them to use external tools if they do [4].

I did run across an interesting use of "maps" on a video game website [5]
that seems to be just overlaying an animated gif over a map at a coordinate.

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ImageMap
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_map#Creation_and_use
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_meat_navigation
[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Dapete/ImageMapEdit#English
[4] http://maschek.hu/imagemap/imgmap/
[5] https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Template:Tooltip_Coords

Regards,
Bryan

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 7:10 AM Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.sourceforge.net_lists_listinfo_semediawiki-2Duser&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=rAQpulMuhw95VvuKwRLyaC1ogKZz3cBBFj7gwgLAl4Y&e=
> >

> > --
> > WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting ·
> > http://wikiworks.com<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wikiworks.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=G9_ckDiL3_82h-sM2b4fJWlZTAo_Yuq6pGF4tYl-mVc&s=zZUSGM6frhVWi2v8NIHyWRuiigT-ZrSaqTn-cbauuHQ&e=

Re: [MediaWiki-l] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Semediawiki-user] interior maps extension

MediaWiki-I mailing list
Hi all,

Please know that I am working (with Yaron) to update the Page Forms extension to provide a new field tag that will support the overlay of points and shapes annotations over an existing image. We will announce this new capability here when it is available.  My hope is to announce it by next week. Wish us luck.

/Rich